How to Install Tyto Online
For Chromebooks, we use an Android app installation.
This will work on Chromebooks running Chromium 53 or later. For a full listing of Chromebooks that support Android applications, check this link. In addition to this requirement, the Chromebook needs 4 GB of RAM to run Tyto Online.
Simply head over to this link to install the game as an Android application.
Installing through Google Admin
Make sure the Chromebooks have enough space to install Tyto Online (around 1.2 gigabytes), and that they're able to download through the Play Store.
Have Chromebook carts where different students will log into the devices throughout the day? You'll want to install Tyto Online as a Kiosk app. Please see our help document: available here.
This method of installation is preferred if your students have an enrolled unit of Chromebooks, with each Chromebook being 1:1 with each student.
- Sign in to your Google Admin console.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Devices and then Chrome management.
If you don't see Devices on the Home page, click More controls at the bottom.
- Click Apps & extensions.
- On the left, select the organizational unit where you want to configure settings.
For all users, select the top-level organization. Otherwise, select a child organization, such as if you want to allow the app only for certain grades (depending on your internal organization set up). Initially, an organizational unit inherits the settings of its parent.
- Click Add (the yellow circle with the + sign in the bottom right corner) and choose Add from Google Play.
6. Search for “Tyto Online” and click Select.
7. If prompted, accept the app permissions on behalf of your organization.
8. We recommend selecting the Force install option associated with the app upon completing the steps above. Doing so will allow the app to download automatically as soon as the student logs into their Chromebook. The default option, Allow install, just allows the student to download Tyto Online from the Play Store. Select Force install + pin if you'd like every Chromebook to have the app locked to the student's shelf.
Now, every Chromebook enrolled under this unit should be able to download and play Tyto Online!
Launching the App on Student Devices
Once the students log into their Chromebooks, Tyto Online should begin downloading through the Play Store automatically. If only the Allow install setting was enabled, then the student will have to go through the Play Store and download Tyto Online the same as any other app featured on the store.
Either method will allow the student/teacher to monitor the app's download progress through the store itself.
Once the download is finished, the student should be able to launch their game through the App Launcher or, if the Force Install + pin option was selected, the shelf.
Please ensure the following URLS are whitelisted, which include our services and analytics:
- *.tytoonline.com (i.e. tytoonline.com and its subdomains)
The game only uses these two ports: 80, 443.
Also, some web filter software such as Lightspeed may identify the game communication as P2P and block it. If this happens, the following IPs will need to be specified to allow game communication:
We do have a scheduled update process for new content we are adding to the game. For example, adding a new Module over winter break that teachers can use in Spring. The planned annual update schedule is:
- New School Year Update (mid/late August)
- Winter Update (over winter break based on schools' schedules)
- Summer Update (after the school year ends we may opt to do an update for students or teachers using the product over the summer, especially if we are testing new content for the following school year!)
If you do not want to update during the school year, please reach out to us about maintaining an older server for your school through the end of the school year. You can use the chat on the bottom right of this page or submit a support ticket ("Submit a Request") for us to set up for you.